In India, millions of electric vehicles running on the roads in the last couple of years, millions of drivers are going to need auto mechanics who can repair and keep routine maintenance of their new EV and its batteries-on-wheels. But today, most auto repair professionals do not have the training or equipment to repair EVs, which are anatomically very different from IC engine vehicles. As a result, many early EV adopters have been forced to rely on vehicle manufacturers and dealerships to service their cars — a situation that can drive up repair costs and lead to frustratingly long wait times.
- EV Dealerships & Sales in India
- Skilled EV Service Technicians
- EV Servicing: Repair and Maintenance
- Certified EV Service Technicians: Skill Development Mission, ASDC, India
- As per current statistics on vehicle electrification across the globe, around 6.5 million EVs sold in 2021 which is more than double the 3 million sold in 2020. In 2021, Indian EV industry representing around 168% increase in EV sales compared to 2020 and eying to represent Rs 500 billion opportunity by 2025.
- Proportional to these statistics on employment growth, 6000+ new generation of electric vehicle specialists / EV technicians need to train to work in electric vehicle production, repair, and maintenance by conducting programs on electric vehicle certification courses.
- EV technicians can specialize in a particular type of repair that may be subject to specific regulations or procedures. For example, retrofitting, testing of battery pack wiring, motor and controller, repair, and maintenance check of electric vehicle, etc.
- EV technicians perform routine checks, servicing, examine and diagnose malfunctioning vehicles, identify issues, discuss various options with their customers, and find ways to fix them.
- Although many problems can be identified and fixed with computers, EV technicians frequently work directly with high voltage or low voltage systems and so, awareness about PPE kit for these work environments is utmost important. Automotive businesses depend on repeat clients; therefore, EV technicians must also be courteous, good listeners, and willing to answer customers questions. Overall, EV technicians should be enough knowledgeable about,
- Electrical principles and measurement.
- HV System Electrical Test Equipment.
- HV Charging cable and charging station types.
- High voltage tools and equipment.
- HV Vehicle Routine Maintenance and towing.
- Health and safety and PPE.
Recognizing the need of EV technicians to fulfil the skilled manpower requirement in EV domain of 20,000 auto dealerships India, to engage with customers in the ongoing and post pandemic era, pManifold EV Academy have started certification program on EV service technician which is mapping with Qualification pack ASC/Q1424 Electric Vehicle Service Lead Technician developed by ASDC, India to bridge the skill gap in the country’s auto dealerships and build their capacity in this critical growth driver.